Wehmeier's was established in 1951 by founder Alvin Wehmeier. He served in the Navy during World War II and the Korean War and spent his free time on board hand-stitching wallets that he sold to his shipmates. He loved working with leather and was always tinkering and repairing anything he could get his hands on. After his discharge he wanted to work for himself and focused on making, selling, and repairing exotic leather belts and accessories.
For almost 60 years, Mr. Al operated in a succession at five different locations in New Orleans, the last being on Toulouse Street. The store was moved from the French Quarter to The Shops at Canal Place, at which point his daughter took ownership. Linda and her husband, Larry, came into the business after Hurricane Katrina. After 10 years in the Shops at Canal Place, the decision was made to close the physical store and operate solely through the website - www.wehemiers.com. Mr. Al passed away in 2012 but his legacy lives on.